EIF is working to strengthen Lesotho's integration into global trade, complementing the implementation of the country's Poverty Reduction Strategy. Efforts focused on coordination, particularly related to trade mainstreaming and donors.
- Completed Diagnostic Trade Integration Study Update Action Matrix and Medium‑term Programme Implementation Concept Note, proposing a specific sequence of priorities while taking into account institutional and resource constraints.
- Completed comparative review of EIF‑assisted countries with similar characteristics as Lesotho but with higher Aid for Trade inflows (Lao PDR and Tanzania), with applicable recommendations on improving current trade policy and institutional frameworks.
EIF is working to improve the ability of smallholders to commercialize and diversify their production of fresh fruit and vegetables, targeting farmer groups, youth, women and individual smallholders who have basic resources and motivation.
- 572 farmers trained on greenhouse‑protected farming production and plant care.
- 85 greenhouse technology packages installed.
- Harvesting of spinach, lettuce, cabbage and kale from greenhouses and hail nets began in March 2015, and the produce was sold to hotels, schools, supermarkets and communities.
- Market centre for agro products established to link cooperatives with domestic and international markets, and serve as a point for collection, packaging and distribution of fresh produce from greenhouses, as well as mushrooms produced in the country.