|Diagnostic Trade Integration Study (DTIS)||2003|
With local institutions and development partners, EIF is supporting Ethiopia to incorporate trade into its Growth and Transformation Plan, in order to spur development and reduce poverty.
This includes building linkages between manufacturing and agriculture, focusing on labour-intensive sectors to generate employment, and concentrating government support on strategic areas identified in the Diagnostic Trade Integration Study Update.
Ethiopia's Growth and Transformation Plan extends from 2016 to 2020 and identifies three goals:
- supporting the trade sector and improving capacity
- establishing a modern and fair trading system
- enhancing foreign currency earnings by strengthening modern market promotion and linkages.
- Growth, industrialization and international trade integration reflected in the Government’s Growth and Transformation Plan 2016-2020.
- Directive approved to form a national office for WTO accession implementation and regional integration, paving the way for Ethiopia's accession to the WTO and in fostering regional integration.
- In 2018, conducted trainings and workshops for 257 federal and regional stakeholders (183 male and 74 female) on the African Continental Free Trade Agreement and other trade issues.
- Participation in international exhibitions in Germany and the UAE led to the securing of USD 80 million in agreements with international suppliers for the export of meat and oil seeds and pulses.
Enhancing trade – Honey
EIF is working to improve Ethiopia's honey sector, supporting the country's export diversification leading to sustainable growth and income generation for small-scale beekeepers as well as forest conservation. Efforts will include offering access to innovative technologies and upgrading honey quality to meet domestic and export market requirements.